Sunday, January 20, 2008

I've always loved Independence Day - the actual holiday, as well as the movie. I've always been very interested in the history of my country and the Revolutionary War has a special fascination for me. I love to hear the stories of the struggling Colonials against the Redcoats, of George Washington leading his troops with a quiet strength.

I get tears in my eyes at the words in the Star Spangled Banner (even now as I'm thinking of them) and I love the sight of the fireworks over Sandy City Hall on a warm, dark summer evening.

I'm grateful for those people in the past who sacrificed so much so that we could have all that we have today. I just hope that we all take time each day - not just one day a year - to think about what we have and those who gave it to us.

No comments: